Sunday, June 3, 2012

In Love Bench


I'm infatuated with upcycling.

Courtesy of dictionary.com
Awhile back, I came upon this great post and knew I had to try one for myself.  I've grown to love the transformation so much so, that I've made a few more and each one is so special. 

If you have a bed frame that is special to you, one that was handed down for generations, or your baby's first big boy bed, but no longer have a use for it's intended purpose, re-purpose it to a fabulous bench.  I do not have a tutorial this time, but I'll make sure to add one the next time I get down and dirty with a bed frame.  There are tons of tutorials online, but I found Shaunna's tutorial to fit the bill.

This cutie was my first.  I didn't have a spare bed hanging around, and since I was revving to go, I purchased a used twin headboard and footboard on Craigslist.  I love the way it turned out.  I have it for sale in my shop.  Gosh, I love to upcycle.  One less item in our landfills.





My friend Jess no longer had room for her little girl's bed, but it was something she couldn't part with.  I was thrilled to give her a useful piece of furniture that is near and dear to her heart.



I was happy to help Kelly with a much needed entryway bench for her family full of boys.





Debbie 

Linking to:


Photobucket/
Primitive and Proper

9 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great job you did! I love re-purposing and upcycling! I love how the white with blue stripes came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glenda! It was so much fun to make this bench and I'm really happy with the beachy stripes. :)

      Delete
  2. oooh the blue stripes are my favorite! lovely and beachy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea. I have my Dad's old bed and he loved to re-create new things out of old. I know that he would've loved for me to do this. I do have a few questions: How did you attach it all together? Also, what did you use for the seat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry it took me so long to get back to you . . . just noticed that I didn't answer. To attach the legs, I usually try to use pocket holes. I often need to use little brackets as well. Most of that stuff is hidden anyway, so bracket away! Next you build the frame for the seat. I use 1X3's around the back, the sides and the front -- it's basically a little box. Usually I add some extra bracing in between the front and back (slats). Then choose your seat -- MDF, smooth plywood, planking. There are a few tutorials online, but I'll be getting around to creating my own one day. :)

      Delete
  4. Waiting for the reply to the above ? Love all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi Karen! One of these days I'll be getting around to doing a tutorial on building a bench. :) After cutting your footboard in half and attaching it with brackets and/or pocket holes, you build a frame around the back, sides, and front using 1X3's. Then you put your seat on top of the frame. Hope this helps!

      Delete